I pause briefly from photography and kid blog entries to participate in the trendy "10 Things" craze.
Ten Things I Learned From Reading Online News Comments
1. 93% of commenters probably did not make it beyond third grade.
2. Everybody is an expert.
3. It’s perfectly acceptable to promote your porn business in the comments of an article about a blind child mourning the loss of her guide dog.
4. You will ALWAYS read this exchange, no matter what article you are reading: Who cares? Why is this even news? –you cared enough to click the link, rede it and comment, so you obviessly care. If you don’t like it, than don’t rede it.
5. I should stop reading up on child safety trends because childless Jon Dupa from Podunk, Ohio, has it all figured out. When he was little, his mom smoked an entire pack of Virginia Slims in their Monte Carlo with the windows up while he played lawn jarts in the back seat. He’s fine now, so everyone needs to chill out and let kids be kids. (See numbers 1 and 2 above.)
6. The comments of an article about any relevant social issue is not going to end without Jon Dupa’s words of wisdom that somehow link the issue to things like clogged shower drains and 7-Eleven running out of liquid nacho cheese.
7. People are more invested in Kim Kardashian’s ass than their 401k.
8. George Bush is a hero. Obama destroyed the world.
9. Obama is going to save the world. George Bush destroyed it.
10. I have fond memories of the Letter to the Editor. Remember it? Yeah? Let’s do that again.